Children and special witnesses
Some groups of people may need extra help when giving evidence.
- children (under 18) in relation to a broad range of offences
- people with an intellectual, mental or physical disability
- those who may be affected by age, cultural background, relationship to any party in the proceeding or the nature of the subject matter
If the court accepts that you meet one of these criteria then it is possible to
- have a support person with you in court
- use an audio-visual link to give evidence rather than being in court
- have some persons excluded from the court room
If you think this would apply and be helpful to you, then you should ask the Crown prosecutor or witness assistance officer about it.
Legislation - Evidence (Children and Special Witnesses) Act 2001